I have been involved with direct sales for almost 25 years, and I personally know the inspiration, bonding and impact it has on those who attend. From small intimate groups to huge crowds, direct sales conventions all have one thing in common - they Pump. You. Up!
I decided to see what other industry professionals had to say about the wisdom of attending convention. And to them, it IS a matter of wisdom. Several quoted industry statistics (as has Tracy) showing that convention attendees make more money from their direct sales business than do their non-attending colleagues.
Here are a few more quotes:
"I find it no wonder that statistics show those who regularly attend their direct selling meetings tend to have higher sales and are more successful in their recruiting efforts. So my question is this: if you are currently involved in such a company and have not attended a training or meeting, what are you waiting for? Are you already making enough from your business? Do you understand what is necessary for your business to be a success? Are you already an expert on your product line and/or compensation plan? If you answer no to any of those three questions, then you need to get to a meeting more than ever."
"...I'll admit: with my many, many years in the direct sales industry, I've been there, done that, and would even say I've seen it all at annual convention ... Even with that history, I would implore you: "Get thee to your company's annual meeting." Why? Because it's not just boas and tiaras (as nice as those can be...). Need to charge it and make up the difference with extra sales in the fall? Need to bunk up to 6 people to a room? Need to drive 10 hours in the car? Doesn't matter. Just do what it takes to get there. If you're not committed enough to attend convention, I'll go out on a limb and say you should probably just go ahead and resign. It's THAT important to your business."
"In fact, I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that you can't afford NOT to go to National Conference if you want to make money with your business. It's where you network with your colleagues, get a fresh batch of enthusiasm, get trained, get up-close with the latest products, and get to know your company execs... Don't cheat yourself. Get to National Conference. It's worth every penny."
And finally, this article from Direct Sales Talk:
REASONS YOU NEED TO ATTEND YOUR ANNUAL DIRECT SALES CONFERENCE
Every year most direct sales businesses offer conferences for you to attend. Most of the time they are nowhere near your home, and while it may be a budget stretcher for you, it is one expense you really need to incur. No whining or excuses. Book the room and pay for the conference ticket. I don't care what it takes, but you should do it!
Now, let me tell you why it's so important that you go to your annual direct sales conference:
- The annual conference is the best place to get motivated - Need some motivation in your business? Go to the annual conference. There you will see lots of people just like you who are making a success of their direct sales business. You can learn what they did to get where they are and what they're doing to stay on top!
- Incentives, incentives, incentives - Often companies will offer an incentive, like a discounted price or free registration to the conference if you reach a certain amount in sales and/or recruits (note: see Vessel's promotions here). Setting your goals to reach these incentives will not only get you to the conference, but it will give your business a boost as well. Think of all the shows you will be holding and all the sales you will be making to reach your goal.
- The momentum you'll gain is priceless - When you get back from the annual conference, you'll be empowered with so much knowledge and motivation nothing will stop you from reaching your sales goals and gaining new recruits. If you boosted your sales and recruits to reach a goal prior to going to the conference, you'll have all those shows to follow up on. Your excitement will rub off on your new and potential recruits They will want to sign up right away when they see how excited you are.
- The knowledge you'll learn is invaluable - Most annual conferences offer classes you can take while there. These classes will teach you how to be more successful in your direct sales business. The classes are usually taught by people at the top, who were once where you are right now. They will teach you how to get to the next level of your business.
- The camaraderie is an experience all its own - Everyone attending the annual conference has something in common with you. You will make new friends and possibly even meet a new mentor or role model. There won't be a luncheon or banquet you will attend where you won't have something to talk about with someone else.
- It's great to meet others from all over the country - and learn how they approach and talk to their clients. Ask what they do to gain business.
If you have been thinking about going to the annual conference but you just weren't sure about it, think about it no more. Set your goals. Make your plans. And GO. Do special sales or promotions to help pay for it, but whatever you do, just get there. I promise you won't regret it. You will come back with so much excitement, ideas and energy about your business, it will certainly flourish! Now go sign up already!
By the way, that last line was still a quote from the Direct Sales Talk article, but it bears repeating:
Now go sign up already!
To Your Success!