Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Toyota vs. Rolls Royce

by: Dioni Morales, Director of Stylist Services

Who remembers Pac Man? I loved Pac Man, and was actually very good at it.  A couple of months ago I was playing at a Pac Man table, and one of my 4 year old daughters decided to sit down and play with me. I was on one side and she was sitting on the other.  She didn't want me to help her, so as you might guess, she was being eaten by the "ghosts" over and over again.  She couldn't move past that level.  I could see her frustration as she saw that the colors on my screen where changing as I moved up the levels. After about 20 minutes, she just looked at me and said "Mom, I want mine to be red like yours."  I told her I could help her, but she wanted to do it on her own.  As you can imagine, she never got past that level - at least not that time.

I felt bad for her at the moment.  Then I started thinking how sometimes that's exactly the way we want things in life to go for us.  We want to get to the top without previous experience, or going through the obstacles and the growing pains. Some people sign up with a direct selling company and give up when they don't get to the top rank in a few months.  Many times they blame the company and/or the industry.  The truth is, we need to commit to the training.  We need to go out and actually do it and learn from our mistakes. In the book Go Pro, Eric Worre talks about how it takes 10,000 hours to be a professional in just about anything, so why would we think that we can just reach the top without taking the time to learn and get trained? 

But there's great news: 

  • In this industry you will get paid while you learn, train and even while you make mistakes.

  • You decide where you want to get to and how big your check is going to be.  You can't really do that in most other professions.

  • Direct sales gives you the freedom that other careers can't offer. 

At the end of it all, it's about where you want to be, how far you want to go in this career, and where you want to end up. 

When things are not going as fast as you would like, just remember that it takes six months to build a Rolls Royce and only 13 hours to build a Toyota.

Let's take the time to build ourselves a Rolls Royce!

No comments:

Post a Comment